Roasted Squash Soup with Apple and Brie
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 1 leek, white portion only
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz. (250 g) Brie cheese
- snipped chives
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut -side down on pan and bake at 350 F. until tender, about 45 minutes (or microwave cut-side down in a few tablespoons of water, covered, about 10 minutes).
- Chop carrot, onion and leek into 1″ pieces and place in large pot. Gently saute in butter. Do not brown. Scrape flesh from cooked squash and add to vegetables. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add apple, bay leaf and sugar to stock mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Remove bay leaf and puree soup in batches. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice off outer skin of Brie and cut into 1/2″ pieces. Place cheese in bottom of soup bowls and fill with hot soup. Garnish with chives.
The Best of Bridge http://www.bestofbridge.com/