Fleshy Roma tomatoes make great soups and sauces. Check your local farmer’s market for good buys and build a batch of this great soup – freezes well for a quick winter’s dinner
- 3 lb. ripe Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 – 28 oz. (798 ml) can plum tomatoes and juice
- 2 cups torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Spread in one layer on baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In large pot over medium heat, heat oil and saute onions, garlic and red pepper flakes until onions start to brown.
- Add canned tomatoes, basil, thyme and chicken stock. Add oven-roasted tomatoes, including any liquid on baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Puree in batches to a coarse mixture. Serve hot or cold.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/