Your guests will be clamouring for a second and third helping of these tasty shrimp
Vodka Lemon Shrimp
- Vodka Lemon Sauce
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar 45 mL
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest 15 mL
- 1⁄3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 75 mL
- 1⁄4 cup vodka 50 mL
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil 50 mL
- 11⁄2 tsp minced gingerroot 7 mL
- 1 clove garlic, minced 1
- 1⁄4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 30 medium or large shrimp, peeled 30
- and deveined (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1⁄2 tsp cornstarch 2 mL
- Soak 10 wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes. Preheat barbecue grill to medium-high and grease the grates.
- Vodka Lemon Sauce: In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice; heat gently until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then stir in vodka, oil, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place shrimp in a deep bowl and spoon 3 tbsp (45 mL) sauce over top; toss to combine. (Do this no more than 30 minutes ahead or the lemon juice will start to toughen the shrimp). Set the
- remaining sauce aside in the saucepan. Thread shrimp onto skewers, leaving space between pieces. Grill, turning once, for 5 minutes or until pink and opaque. Arrange skewers on a serving plate.
- Whisk cornstarch into the remaining sauce and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened and glossy. Transfer to a bowl and place next to the shrimp skewers, along with small cocktail plates for your guests.
- Makes 10 skewers.
- Tip: When buying fresh gingerroot, look for firm pieces. If the skin is wrinkly, it’s past its best. To peel ginger, hold it in the palm of your hand and use the edge of a teaspoon to scrape away the skin, getting into all the crevices and around the knobby bits. Break the peeled ginger into smaller pieces and wrap tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks and in the freezer for several months.
- Variation: You can also cook the marinated shrimp on the stovetop. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté shrimp, shaking pan, for about 4 minutes or until pink and opaque.
- I like to give homemade gifts – which one of my children would you like?
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/