Red lentil and vegetable curry is a fantastic vegetarian main or a swoon worthy side dish
Red Lentil and Vegetable Curry
Red Lentil and Vegetable Curry is a Fantastic Vegetarian Main or a Swoon Worthy Side Dish
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 1 large onion, finely chopped 1
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 4
- 3 tbsp mild or medium Indian curry 45 mL
- 11⁄2 cups grated peeled sweet potato 375 mL
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed 250 mL
- 11⁄2 cups tomato sauce 375 mL
- 2 cups vegetable broth 500 mL
- 3 cups packed baby spinach 750 mL
- 11⁄4 cups drained roasted red peppers, 300 mL
- Salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 30 mL
- Chopped tomato
- Use a 31⁄2- to 4-quart slow cooker. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and curry paste; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in sweet potato and lentils. Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in broth. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, until lentils are very soft. Stir in spinach and red peppers. Cover and cook on High for about 20 minutes, until spinach is wilted and red peppers are hot. Adjust seasoning with salt, if desired. Serve garnished with cilantro and tomato.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- Tip: Heat seekers can use hot Indian curry paste or add cayenne pepper to taste with the spinach.
- Tip: Curry pastes can be quite salty. Taste the curry at the end of the cooking time and add salt if necessary.
- Variation: Use 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas instead of the spinach.
- Who are “they” anyway?
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/