The name just means “green sauce.” This recipe — not to be confused with the Mexican sauce of the same name, made with tomatillos — is so easy to make, and is a perfect accompaniment to rich meats. We particularly like it with pork shoulder steaks.
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves (about 1 small bunch)
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
- In a food processor, combine garlic, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice and vinegar; pulse, scraping down the bowl a few times, until very finely chopped. With the motor running, through the feed tube, add oil in a thin stream and process until nearly smooth (it will be very green, with some flecks remaining). Keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Makes about 1/2 cup (125 mL).