- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided 30 mL
- 8 oz semi-cured ready-to-eat sweet 250 g
- or mild chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped 1
- 2 celery stalks, chopped 2
- 1 large carrot, chopped 1
- 4 garlic cloves, minced 4
- 1⁄4 tsp hot pepper flakes 1 mL
- 8 cups chopped kale leaves or chopped 2 L
- Swiss chard
- 1 lb potatoes (about 2 large), chopped 500 g
- 2 bay leaves 2
- 6 cups ready-to-use chicken or 1.5 L
- vegetable broth
- Salt and black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat and sauté sausage about 3 minutes or until browned. Remove to bowl.
- Return pot to heat; add remaining oil. Cook onion, celery, carrot, garlic and hot pepper flakes for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in kale until wilted. Add potatoes, browned sausage and bay leaves, stirring to coat. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove bay leaves before serving and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 6 to 8.
- Tip: Want to change this up a bit? Why not try sweet potato for the regular potatoes — or mix them up? Emily’s friend Paola loves to add some color to this wonderful soup this way.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/