A bowl of flavourful fried rice topped with a fried egg is a delicious comfort food. Kimchi is Korean salted and fermented cabbage and radish staple that adds a delicious tang and flavour to the fried rice. It’s usually found in the refrigerated international food section of most grocery stores. Be sure to serve Sriracha sauce on the side for extra flavour and heat.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped into ¼-inch (0.5 cm) pieces
- 1 ½ cups kimchi, chopped 375 mL
- 6 cups leftover cooked rice 1.5 L
- 1 tbsp sesame oil 15 mL
- 1 tbsp soy sauce 15 mL
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5 mL
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds 15 mL
- 2 tsp canola oil 10 mL
- 4 large eggs
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, cook bacon about 8 minutes or until lightly crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate; set aside. Remove all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) bacon fat.
- In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, add kimchi, including any of the juice, and fry about 4 minutes or until lightly golden. Reduce heat to medium and add rice, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic powder and green onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, breaking up any clumps of rice. Fry until rice is hot and beginning to crisp. Remove skillet from heat and stir in bacon pieces and sesame seeds.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, over medium-high heat, heat canola oil and fry eggs sunny-side-up, to desired doneness.
- Divide rice onto four plates and top each with an egg. Garnish with additional sesame seeds, if desired.
- Serves 4.
- The key to getting the perfect texture for this dish is to use leftover cooked rice, since fresh cooked rice would be too moist.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/