This here is a combination of things I love: shrimp, cream, citrus, spices. Fresh mint and cilantro. It’s like an easy sort of curry, but not heavy, and quick to toss on the grill. I love things that are easy to grill, and don’t require you to hover nervously with your tongs, meat thermometer at the ready. While the apple trees are in bloom, I’m inviting some friends and neighbours for mojitos in the back yard, and these will be on the menu.
The recipe comes from the awesome chef Michael Allemeier – he came up with it for the Dairy Farmers of Canada. Another great source of Canadian recipes!
- 1 cup 35% whipping cream
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup each chopped fresh cilantro and mint leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon (about 3 Tbsp. juice)
- 2 Tbsp. each ground coriander and paprika
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped or grated ginger
- 1 tsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. each cinnamon, pepper and salt
- 1 lb (500 g) 16 to 20 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, whisk together cream, yogurt, cilantro, mint, garlic, lemon zest and juice, coriander, paprika, cumin, ginger, tomato paste, cinnamon, pepper and salt. Reserve ¼ cup; cover and refrigerate.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towel; add to marinade and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove shrimp from marinade. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until pink, about 5 to 6 minutes. Place in bowl; stir in reserved marinade and toss. Serve garnished with green onions and lime wedges.
- Enjoy immediately.