This hearty southwestern soup makes a great meal for your family
- 2 Tbsp. oil 30 mL
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into 1″ pieces 3
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 125 mL
- 3 garlic cloves, minced 3
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced 1
- 2 Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded & finely chopped 2
- 8 Roma tomatoes, seeded & diced 8
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste 30 mL
- 2 tsp. cumin 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 mL
- 5 cups chicken stock 1.2 L
- 1 cup picante sauce (medium) 500 mL
- 2 whole cooked chicken breasts, shredded 2
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese 125 mL
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional) 75 mL
- 2 corn tortillas 2
To make soup
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the tortillas, reduce heat and cook until they are golden brown and slightly crisp. Add the onion And cook 3 minutes longer; add garlic and jalapeno pepper and cook another 2 minutes. Add the Anaheim chilies, tomatoes and tomato paste; Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cayenne. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and picante sauce. Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes, or until slightly reduced. Add the shredded chicken and avocado and heat until warmed through.
To make garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180oC). Cut tortillas into strips. Place the strips on a baking sheet and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, or until crisp.
- To serve, ladle soup into 6 bowls and garnish with the grated cheese, cilantro and baked tortilla strips. Serves 6.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/