With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it’s time to cook one of the most treasured Best of Bridge recipes – Sweet Potato Supreme. We went back to where it all began and asked one of the authors of “Best of Bridge Holiday Classics” to share a special memory about this delightful dish:
“We always laughed about this because our kids never really liked sweet potatoes. Then we discovered “Sweet Potato Supreme” and its been a required dish at every holiday dinner since! And guess what – sweet potatoes ARE good for you!”
- 4 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes 1L
- 2 Tbsp. cream or milk 30mL
- 1 tsp. salt 5mL
- 1/4 tsp. paprika 1 mL
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed 125mL
- 1/3 cup butter 75mL
- 1 cup pecan halves, to cover casserole 250 mL
- Thoroughly mix potatoes, cream, salt and paprika. Spread in greased casserole.
- Make the topping by heating brown sugar and butter over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter is barely melted. (It is important not to cook after butter is melted, or the topping will harden when casserole is heated.)
- Spread topping over potatoes and cover with pecan halves. Refrigerate until ready to heat.
- This casserole may be warmed in an oven of any temperature. Should be bubbling hot before servings.
- Serves 6-8.