Joanne Good, former editor of The Calgary Herald, invented these – we’re so glad she did!
Sour Cream Ginger Buns
- 2 cups sifted flour 500 mL
- 21⁄2 tsp baking powder 12 mL
- 1⁄4 tsp baking soda 1 mL
- 3⁄4 tsp salt 3 mL
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar 30 mL
- 1⁄3 cup cold shortening 75 mL
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger 125 mL
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream 150 mL
- 1 egg, slightly beaten 1
- 3 tbsp butter, melted 45 mL
- Sift first five ingredients together. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ginger and mix. Make a well in the centre and pour in sour cream and egg and stir briskly with a fork just until dough holds together. Knead gently 7 or 8 times on lightly floured surface. Roll or pat to 1⁄2-inch to 3⁄4-inch (1 to 2 cm) thickness. Cut with 2-inch (5 cm) diameter cookie cutter. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter. Bake in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes 18 buns.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/