We love a good picnic salad. This one is made with orzo pasta and takes full advantage of summer cherry season. Feel free to use other fresh produce if you have it — strawberries would also work well and the kernels off of a fresh ear of corn would also be a tasty addition.
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup cherries, halved and pitted
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Zest and juice of one lime
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the orzo according to package instructions, drain, and let cool. In a large bowl, toss with the avocado, cherries, pepper, cilantro, and almonds.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and zest, garlic, sugar, and salt and pepper. Pour over the salad. Toss until the orzo is fully coated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.