Our friend Irene doubles this and bakes in 2 – 9″ x 13″ pans. When cooled, she cuts the cakes in half lengthwise,then divides into three. She has 12 nice gifts for her best friends – that’s us!
Light Christmas Cake
- 1/2 lb. butter 250g
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar 375ml
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice 125ml
- 3 cups regular flour, sifted 750ml
- 1 tsp. baking powder 5ml
- 1 tsp. salt 5ml
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 lb. red glace cherries 250g
- 1/2 lb. green glace cherries 250g
- 1/2 lb. citron peel 250g
- 2 slices each, red and green pineapple, cut up
- 2 lbs. Sultana raisins 1k
- 1/2 lb. blanched almonds 250g
- 1/4 cup Rum, optional 60ml
- Preparation: Line the sides and bottom of a three-sized christmas cake tin set with buttered brown paper (or parchment paper). The night before you make the cake, pour boiling water over the raisins, drain, and dry on paper towelling. Leave overnight. Place fruit in a bowl and mix with 1/2 the flour. Cream sugar and butter, add beaten eggs, orange and lemon juice and zest. Add remaining flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add floured fruit and chopped almonds. Pour into pans. Place a pan containing about 2″ of water on the bottom oven rack while cake is baking. Bake at 275 for two hours. Check the baking time after one hour. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick – it should come out dry. Cool cakes. If desired, poke cooled cakes with a skewer and drizzle with rum.
- Wrap well and store in cool place.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/
|I love playing the violin, especailly when I am depressed – it helps me keep my chin up.|