This appealing egg dish makes a wonderful breakfast or brunch, or serve it along with a salad for a light supper.
- 2 Tbsp butter 30 ml
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 10 cups cubed day-old Italian bread (3⁄4-inch/2 cm cubes) 2.5 L
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère or Cheddar cheese 500 ml
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk 500 ml
- ½ tsp salt 2 ml
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 ml
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1 ml
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook leeks, garlic and red pepper, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Grease a 13- by 9-inch (33 by 23 cm) baking dish. Layer half the bread cubes in baking dish. Top with half each of the leek mixture, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour evenly over bread mixture. Press down with a spatula to help bread absorb egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Uncover strata and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is puffed. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8.
- Tip: To clean leeks, trim dark green tops. Cut down center almost to root end and chop. Rinse in a sink full of cold water to remove sand; scoop up leeks and place in colander to drain or use a salad spinner.
- Tip: Recipe can be halved and baked in an 8-inch (20 cm) baking dish for 30 to 40 minutes.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/