- 1 tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder 15 mL
- 1 tsp dried oregano 5 mL
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 mL
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) mixed beans, rinsed and drained (2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice 125 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 30 mL
- 1⁄4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper 1 mL
- 6 large eggs
- 6, 6- or 7-inch (15 or 18 cm) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 large avocado, chopped (optional)
- Add garlic, onion, jalapeño, chili powder, oregano and cumin; sauté for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in green pepper, beans, tomatoes and tomato juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a 13- by 9-inch (33 by 23 cm) baking dish.
- Break 1 egg into a small bowl and carefully slide it onto the bean mixture. Repeat for each egg, spacing them apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until eggs are desired doneness.
- Serve with tortillas and avocado (if using).
- Serves 6.
- The older you get, the better you get.
- Unless you’re an avocado.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/