Here’s a thick, comforting stew.
- 1 1/4 lbs (625 g) beef strip loin steaks, trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5cm) cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and black pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) ready-to-use beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh potato gnocchi
- Toss steak with flour, Italian seasoning and half each of the salt and pepper. In a large, shallow saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. In batches as necessary, brown beef and transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium and saute carrots, garlic, onion and celery for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Return steak to the pan, along with any accumulated juices. Stir in gnocchi, reduce heat and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened and gnocchi is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Serves 4 to 6.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/
Join the discussion 11 Comments
Where does the gnocchi come in?
Hi Myrna, the gnocchi is added just after the steak and meat juices are returned to the pan. Enjoy!
Nowhere in the recipe does it mention meat. Am i missing something?
Hi Myrna, can you tell me which cookbook you are inquiring about? I’m wondering if we are looking at the same book. Thanks.
I am looking at the recipe on your website. Although I have several of your cookbooks it is not from one of them,
Hi Myrna, I’m glad we clarified! The website recipe for Gnocchi and Beef Stew is incorrect and should be replaced shortly. Thank you for your patience and for bringing this to our attention. The recipe is from Best of Bridge Weekday Suppers cookbook (2018).
When? I really want to test this recipe.
Hello Myrna, we have put a request to update the website. We endeavor to get this done soon, but it goes through several channels to make a change. Thank you for your patience!
It is now Aug. 24, 2020 and I note from your remarks you were to update the website for the Gnocchi beef stew which still hasn’t been done! I would love to have this recipe as gnocchi is my grandsons favourite.
It’s now March, 2021 . Is it possible to get this recipe corrected? There is no meat or gnocchi in the current recipe.
Thanks so much for your patience, Lizzy! The recipe is now updated.