A vegetarian dinner for 2 and because you can never find ripe pears, buy some a couple of days ahead and ripen in a paper bag. Enjoy the rest for dessert with Stilton cheese
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. medium curry paste
- 1 tsp. tomato paste (store the rest in the freezer for future use)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 unpeeled ripe pear, sliced in thin wedges
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cream or milk
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- pasta for 2: rotini or bow ties
- In a frying pan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until soft. Add garlic and curry paste and stir 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste and honey and stir another 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, increase heat to medium high and boil gently, reducing liquid to less than 1 cup. (This takes about 15 minutes: now is a good time to start cooking the pasta.) Add pear slices and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cream and stir another 2 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro. Pour over pasta and toss gently. If your dinner companion insists on meat, serve with grilled chicken breast or pork tenderloin. Mixed greens and balsamic vinaigrette is perfect compliment.
Mechanic: I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.