If you need to feed a crowd breakfast or brunch, this make-ahead casserole is perfect. We like it with challah, but any other egg bread, such as brioche or panettone, would also be delicious.
- 1 challah or egg bread loaf cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick slices (1 lb/500 g)
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar 60 mL
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 5 mL
- ½ tsp salt 2 mL
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg 1 mL
- 2 cups milk 500 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla 5 mL
- ½ cup chopped nuts (such as pecans or walnuts) 125 mL
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar 30 mL
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon 10 mL
- ½ cup butter, softened 125 mL
- 3 cups corn flakes cereal, lightly crushed 750 mL
- Grease a 13- by 9-inch (33 by 23 cm) baking dish. Arrange bread slices in dish, slightly overlapping. In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs, then whisk in brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, milk and vanilla. Pour over bread, gently pressing bread down to absorb the egg mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Topping: In a medium bowl, combine nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Stir in cereal until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Uncover baking dish and crumble topping over bread. Lightly tent with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serves 8.
- During the holiday season, substitute eggnog for the milk and reduce the brown sugar in the egg mixture to 2 tbsp (30 mL).
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/