After somehow accumulating a fridge full of broccoli, making a big pot of broccoli cheddar soup seemed to be a good course of action. This version is bulked up with some butternut squash. Serve it with a bit of crusty bread and you’ve got a full meal.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or other large pot. Saute the onion in the butter until soft, then whisk in the flour. Whisk in the milk and chicken broth or stock; add the butternut squash, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the broth is thickened and the squash is beginning to soften. Add the broccoli and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Once the broccoli is cooked, carefully puree the soup with an immersion blender (or in batches in a regular blender). Puree it to the consistency of your choice — if you want to leave some chunks of vegetables you can, or you can go for a totally smooth consistency. Add the cheese and stir until melted, thinning with water if necessary. Season with some more salt (and cayenne if you’d like) and serve with crusty bread. Serves 4-6.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/
Join the discussion 12 Comments
I love cooking with my kids. We typically make cookies or muffins but my oldest daughter (11yrs) has begun to help me with making dinner. She loves chopping vegetables.
Hi Alisha, that’s great! We love to hear that kids are helping in the kitchen and learning how to cook!
YUMMY!!!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe! I’ve heard about your blog a couple of times and will now spend my afternoon reading 🙂
Thank you, Rose! You can also find out what we’re up to on Instagram, Facebook and twitter. See the links on the website.
Just kidding. I hope you’re have a great time. I was looking for some new soup recipes and here they are. I love the pictures. I’ll be looking for the pictures of you in paradise
I’m a teenager who is absolutly in love with cooking, and I saw this on your youtube channel one day and I decided to make it for my parents. I really like the info you share, it’s really helpful. The reaction of my parents when they tasted the spagetti squash was so amazing. thank you for sharing this kind of info with all of us.
That’s fantastic that you love cooking. We’re thrilled that you and your family enjoyed the recipe!
I’ve been doing this for years too! Only I started because we raise our own beef and so I have a freezer full of frozen hamburger. Because I always forget to take it out in time to thaw, and I hate microwaving hamburger, I started cooking it in water (my sister’s recommendation). Now it’s the ONLY way I make it since it also takes away the grease. I just boil it until it’s mostly done, drain the water, and finish browning it in the pot. I add the seasonings during the last step. Works
I am a cilantro lover of the highest degree and this chicken looks amazing! I am highly suspicious of people who dislike cilantro .
We love cilantro, too! We also respect that everyone has different taste preferences 🙂
I have a similar recipe but see several different ingredients. Looks and sounds delicious.
Hi Ashley, I hope you get a chance to try our recipe. Happy cooking!