Cornmeal and currants – you gotta try this!
- 2 cups (500 ml) apple juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple jelly
- 3″ (7 1/2 cm) cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) currants
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) melted butter
- Put syrup ingredients in a medium size saucepan and gently boil over medium-high heat for 20 minutes(watch carefully last 5 minutes). Reduce to 1 cup (250 ml).
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir currants into flour mixture. Mix yogurt and eggs together in a small bowl and stir into flour mixture. (This is a very thick batter.) Stir in butter. Heat a lightly greased frying pan or griddle over low heat until hot. Spoon batter in batches forming 1 1/2″ (8 1/2 cm) cakes. Cook about 3 minutes on one side or until bubbles form and bottom is golden. Turn and cook other side until golden. Keep warm while cooking remaining cakes. Serve with warm syrup.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/