Elizabeth and Julie appeared on Your Morning in Toronto on Friday, talking about desserts you can make in your slow cooker – recipes from the new Family Slow Cooker cookbook, which is in stores now! We made coffee pots de creme, using the slow cooker in place of the usual bain marie (hot water bath), to ensure a moist, gentle heat, but we also had our Chocolate Caramel Pecan Upside Down Cake on display – a gooey treat that bakes up perfectly in the slow cooker – and slides right out, after it’s done!
The edges of the pecan layer will get chewy, the center stays softer. This cake will make a lot of people happy!
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans 375 mL
- 3/4 cup caramel sauce (such as Hershey’s or Smucker’s) 175 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped 70% dark chocolate (about 3 oz/90 g) 125 mL
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 375 mL
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 125 mL
- 1 tsp baking soda 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1-1/4 cups sugar 300 mL
- 1/2 cup butter, softened 125 mL
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk 175 mL
- Line a 6-quart slow cooker with parchment paper, pressing it up against the sides where it folds naturally (it doesn’t need to be perfect). Some of the points will be taller than the rim; leave it that way for now. Scatter pecans evenly inside the parchment, then drizzle caramel sauce over top. Scatter chocolate on top.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter, then add eggs and beat well. Alternately mix in flour mixture and milk, making three additions of flour and two of milk and beating until just combined. Spread batter evenly over pecan layer in slow cooker, keeping the folds of parchment flat against the sides. Trim the points of parchment level with the rim. Cover and cook on high for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a tester inserted in a few different places comes out clean. Remove the bowl from the slow cooker and let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Carefully invert the bowl onto a platter, peel the parchment away and let cool completely. Serves 8 to 10.