We love serving this with the Avocado and Grapefruit Salad from, “Year of the Best” but any salad will work
Chicken Artichoke and Wild Rice Casserole Serve with Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sherry
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 14 oz. can artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
- In medium-sized saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice and salt. Cover and simmer 45-55 minutes or until rice is tender but still chewy. Drain rice in colander.
- Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add stock to veggies in frying pan and bring to a boil.
- In bowl, whisk cream and flour until smooth. Gradually whisk into boiling broth. Add salt, sherry and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice to sauce.
- Add chicken and artichokes to sauce and mix well. Pour mixture into shallow 2 1/2 – 3 qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 F. for 35-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Book Reference – The Rest of the Best – Vol. 2 (Page: 206), A Year of The Best (Page: 117)
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/
It is bad to suppress laughter; it goes back down and spreads to your hips.