Fragrant and nourishing. A salad to start, a bowl Of soup and fresh crusty bread.Dinner is served! And we think Bogie would approve
Casablanca Chicken Soup
- Fragrant and nourishing. A salad to start, a bowl of soup and fresh crusty bread. Dinner is served!
- 2 bone-in chicken legs, skin removed 2
- 1 can (14 to 19 oz/398 to 540 mL) 1
- chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 2 onions, finely chopped 2
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 4
- 2 tsp ground cumin 10 mL
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes, 1
- with juice
- 1 2-inch (5 cm) cinnamon stick 1
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar 15 mL
- 2 cups chicken broth 500 mL
- 1 cup chopped drained roasted red 250 mL
- bell peppers (see tip, page 77)
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper 1 mL
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 cups packed baby spinach 500 mL
- Place chicken and chickpeas in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, cumin, 1 tsp (5 mL) salt and 1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) pepper; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, cinnamon stick, sugar and broth, breaking tomatoes up with a spoon. Pour over chicken mixture. Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours or on High for about 21⁄2 to 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to shred meat, discarding bones. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and stir in roasted peppers, cayenne and lemon juice. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until steaming. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serves 6.
- Tip: Chicken legs are a thrifty and tasty choice for the slow cooker. It’s worth buying them when they’re on sale and popping them in the freezer. Since legs don’t look particularly appealing on a plate, we mostly use them in soups and shred the cooked chicken off the bone before serving.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/