This is one of the first recipes Chef Vincent shared with us for “A Year of the Best” and it’s excellent with ham
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 large onions
- 6-8 medium baker potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 -3/4 lb. Emmenthal or Gruyere cheese, grated
- In large frying pan over medium heat, saute onions in butter until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cook slowly to caramelize.
- Grease a 9″x13″ pan or large round baking dish. Layer half the potato slices in a shingle fashion and season. Top with half the onions and Emmenthal. Repeat next layer, ending with cheese. Bake at 350 F. for 50 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Cut in squares or wedges to serve.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/
Join the discussion 2 Comments
Can this be frozen for later? I’ve bee to take this dish for Xmas dinner in Canada.
Hi Sydney, this recipe can be frozen for up to 2 weeks, however there will be some texture change. As an alternative, you can make this up to 4 days in advance and store in the refrigerator. To reheat, cover with foil and bake in a 350′ oven for about 15 minutes, until heated through. Remove foil in the last 5 minutes to crisp the top.