What’s not to love! Serve with buttered noodles and sigh with contentment
- 3 lb boneless beef chuck, blade or 1.5 kg
- cross rib roast, cut into 1-inch
- (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram or oregano 5 mL
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional) 5 mL
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste 30 mL
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour 60 mL
- 11⁄2 cups beef broth 375 mL
- 1⁄4 cup tomato-based chili sauce 60 mL
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika 15 mL
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 15 mL
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced 1
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill or parsley 30 mL
- Sour cream
- Place beef in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, marjoram, caraway seeds (if using), 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, 1⁄4 mL (1 mL) pepper and tomato paste; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Whisk in broth and chili sauce, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan; bring to a boil. Pour over beef and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for about 8 hours or on High for about 4 hours, until beef is tender. In a small bowl, combine paprika and lemon juice until smooth. Stir into slow cooker, along with red pepper. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until red pepper is tender. Stir in dill. Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream.
- Serves 6.
- We use tomato paste in many of our slow cooker recipes because it greatly boosts flavor and richness. The long, moist cooking dulls other aromatic ingredients, such as onions, garlic and herbs. Microwaving or browning a dollop or two of tomato paste with these ingredients makes all the difference.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/