We realize the combination of vegetables and orange seems unusual, but trust us, this soup is delicious
Roasted Winter Vegetable and Orange Soup
- When the cold winds blow, warm up with this soulful soup.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped 1
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and coarsely 2 chopped
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peeled sweet 500 mL
- potato (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peeled 500 mL
- butternut squash (about 1 small)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided 45 mL
- 1 tbsp chopped gingerroot 15 mL
- 1 tsp ground coriander 5 mL
- 4 cups chicken broth 1 L
- 1 tsp liquid honey 5 mL
- Juice of 1 orange
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large bowl, toss onion, parsnips, sweet potato and squash with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil. Spread in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast, turning once, for 45 to 50 minutes or until softened and browned. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Sauté ginger and coriander until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add roasted vegetables, chicken broth and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Using an immersion blender, or in a food processor or blender in batches, purée soup until smooth. Return to pan, if necessary. Stir in orange juice and reheat over medium heat, stirring often and adding a little water if soup is too thick, until steaming. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with cilantro and almonds. Serves 6.
- Make ahead: Let soup cool, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw and reheat to serve.
- Tip: Roasting the vegetables takes awhile, but it caramelizes their natural sugars, making them sweet and delicious.
- Variation: Use carrots, turnips, pumpkin or regular potatoes in place or one or two of the vegetables in this recipe. Just be sure to include one orange vegetable for an appealing and colorful soup.
- From: Bravo! Best of Bridge Cookbook
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/
A penny saved is a government oversight.