A cookbook by Katie Webster celebrates real maple syrup – it’s so Canadian, eh? Maple: 100 Sweet and Savory Recipes Featuring Pure Maple Syrup is right up our alley – maple season came early this year, and our shelves are stocked with the sweet stuff from our neighbours out east. The hardcover cookbook is gorgeous, packed with recipes from appies to desserts – and of course breakfast – using pure maple syrup in ways we’d never have thought of.
This balsamic-spiked caramelized onion pizza caught our eye immediately – perfect for home entertaining, it’s easy to make, and the maple drizzle really brings it to a whole new level.
- 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- Maple Wheat Pizza Dough, or your favorite store-bought dough
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (4 ounces)
- 2 ounces crumbled feta, preferably reduced fat
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups loosely packed baby arugula (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons dark pure maple syrup
- 1. Place oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, cover, and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes, until onion is soft and starting to brown. Reduce heat to medium-low if they are browning too much before softening. Stir in vinegar and thyme, cover, remove from heat, and set aside while you prepare the pizza.
- 2. Place a rack in the bottom position of the oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Dust clean work surface with flour. Roll out dough to the size of the baking sheet and transfer to the sheet.
- 3. Spread caramelized onions over dough. Top with cheddar and feta. Sprinkle with pepitas, salt, and pepper.
- 4. Bake, rotating once halfway through, 13 to 16 minutes, until crust is crispy and cheese is bubbling and just starting to turn golden. Remove from oven. Scatter arugula over pizza and drizzle with syrup. Cut into 8 pieces and serve.