Best of Bridge wouldn’t exist without friends sharing with friends!
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) crumbled dried sage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary
- ¾ tsp (3 mL) each salt and black pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) ready-to-use vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup (125 mL) wild rice 10 cups (2.5 L) cubed light rye or Calabrese bread (about one 1 ¼ lb/570 g loaf)
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Stir butter, onions, celery, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper together in slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes. Stir in broth and rice and cook on High for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF (150ºC). Spread bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, stirring once. Leave on the baking sheet to cool to room temperature.
- Stir toasted bread cubes, cranberries and parsley into slow cooker until evenly moistened. Reduce heat to Low. Cook, stirring every hour, for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until stuffing is lightly browned around the edges and the excess moisture is absorbed.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add onions, celery, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; sauté until softened. Add broth and rice.
- Cover and simmer on low for 35 to 40 minutes or until fluid is mostly absorbed. Cool slightly. Toss the rice mixture with the bread, cranberries and parsley. Transfer to a greased, 13- by 9-inch (33 by 23 cm) baking dish. Cover and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until golden and set.
- Substitute any crusty whole grain bread for the rye.
- You can toast the bread up to 2 days ahead for the stuffing.
The Best of Bridge https://www.bestofbridge.com/