This works for brunch or supper. Serve with maple syrup in the morning or a green salad at night
Sunrise-Sunset Bacon Strata
- 6 slices bacon, chopped 6
- 6 eggs 6
- 1 cup half-and-half (10%) cream or 250 mL whole milk
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme 10 mL
- (or 1⁄4 tsp/1 mL dried)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard 5 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1⁄8 tsp pepper 0.5 mL
- 4 cups cubed white bread (see tip) 1 L
- 4 green onions, chopped 4
- 2 red-skinned apples (unpeeled), grated 2
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda or 500 mL
- extra-sharp (extra-old) Cheddar cheese, divided
- Grease the insert of a 31⁄2- to 4-quart slow cooker. In a skillet, brown bacon over medium-high heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, thyme, mustard, salt and pepper. Place half the bread in prepared slow cooker. Arrange cooked bacon, green onions, apples and 1 cup (250 mL) cheese on top. Pour in half the egg mixture and scatter with remaining bread. Pour in remaining egg mixture, gently pushing bread down to submerge. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Transfer insert to slow cooker base. cook on High for 2 to 21⁄2 hours, until set and puffed. Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top; cover and let stand for 10 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Serves 6.
- Tip: For best results, use stale bread, as it better absorbs the egg mixture. To dry the bread, you can leave it uncovered at room temperature for 12 hours or overnight before assembling the strata.
- Tip: Stratas are a great way to use up bread that’s a few days old. Stale bread lends structure to the strata and prevents it from becoming too soggy.
- Find this great recipe in more in Best of Bridge Slow Cooker Recipes.
The Best of Bridge http://www.bestofbridge.com/
The male pancakes don’t know where to find the other ingredients.
— Doug Dirks, radio show host,
CBC Radio, Calgary, Alberta