Summer is (almost) here – depending on where you live – and watermelons are starting to fill up produce shelves. We love a good watermelon salad – that juicy, sweet crunch goes so well with so many other ingredients – it’s a great way to rehydrate and delivers a healthy dose of lycopene. Here’s a unique salad for this long weekend’s backyard barbecue – it’s sure to be popular all summer long!
- 6 cups spring mix or other mixed greens
- 3 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- 1/4-1/2 cup thinly sliced purple onion
- 1-2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or cold-pressed canola oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or balsamic reduction
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In large bowl, mix all ingredients except oil and pepper. Just before serving, drizzle with oil and vinegar and sprinkle with pepper. Makes 4-6 servings.