The superb flavor of jerk pork – the perfect dinner for a summer’s day. This recipe looks involved but it’s not.
Island Pork Tenderloin Salad
- 2 tsp. salt 10 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper 2 mL
- 1 tsp. ground cumin 5 mL
- 1 tsp. chili powder 5 mL
- 1 tsp. cinnamon 5 mL
- 2-3 pork tenderloins (21⁄2-3 lbs. TOTAL) 1-1.5 kg
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil 30 mL
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar 250 mL
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp. Tabasco 15 mL
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 15 mL
- 1 tsp. curry powder 5 mL
- 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper 1 mL
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil 125 mL
- 3 Navel oranges, peeled, white 3
- pith removed
- 6 cups baby spinach, trimmed 1.5 L
- 4 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage 1 L
- 1 red pepper, in thin strips 1
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins 125 mL
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, peeled & 2
- cut diagonally into thin slices
- To prepare pork: preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Combine salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and cinnamon. coat pork with spices. Heat oil in ovenproof frying pan over moderately high heat; brown pork, turning often. Leave in pan.
- To make glaze: Combine ingredients and pat onto tops of tenderloins. Roast in middle of oven for about 20 minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- To make vinaigrette: whisk together juices,mustard, curry powder and pepper. Add oil in a stream, whisking thoroughly.
- For the salad: cut oranges crosswise into thin slices. Toss spinach, cabbage, peppers and raisins in a large bowl with 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) vinaigrette.
- To assemble salad: cut pork at a 45° angle into 1⁄2" (1.3 cm) slices. Line a large platter with dressed salad. arrange sliced pork, oranges and avocado
- in rows on top. Drizzle some vinaigrette over avocado and oranges. Pour juices from frying pan over pork.
The Best of Bridge http://www.bestofbridge.com/