- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt 175 mL
- 1 large egg 1
- 23⁄4 cups all-purpose flour 675 mL
- 4 tsp baking powder 20 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1⁄2 cup margarine 125 mL
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries 250 mL
- (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp butter, melted 15 mL
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ (icing) sugar 60 mL
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Beat buttermilk and egg in small bowl and set aside. In large bowl, Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles small peas. Mix in cranberries, sugar and orange zest. Add buttermilk mixture and stir until soft dough forms. Using your hands, form dough into a large ball and place on floured surface. Pat out to 1-inch (2.5 cm) thickness. Cut in 4-inch (20 cm) rounds. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake scones for 15 to 20 minutes. While still warm, brush with butter and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
- Makes 8 large scones.
The Best of Bridge http://www.bestofbridge.com/
Gourmet: A French word meaning 400% markup.