This goes together fast! Serve with steamed basmati rice and warm naan.
Easy Chicken Curry
- This goes together fast! Serve with steamed basmati rice and warm naan.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 2 onions, thinly sliced 2
- 4 cloves garlic, minced 4
- 1 tbsp finely chopped gingerroot 15 mL
- 1⁄4 cup mild or medium Indian curry 60 mL
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs 8
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) whole tomatoes, 1
- with juice
- 2 tbsp mango chutney or apricot jam 30 mL
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped 1
- 11⁄2 cups frozen whole green beans, 375 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 30 mL
- Salt (optional)
- Use a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger and curry paste; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken. Stir in tomatoes and chutney, breaking tomatoes up with a spoon. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours or on High for 21⁄2 to 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Stir in red pepper, beans and cilantro. Cover and cook on High for about 30 minutes, until red pepper and beans are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt, if desired.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- Tip: We always reach for Indian curry pastes, rather than curry powder, when we want to make a curry. The spices in the pastes — which come in mild, medium and hot — are preserved in oil, so they are more authentic and less harsh-tasting than powders. We particularly like the Patak’s brand, which is widely available.
- Tip: Dark chicken meat, such as thighs and drumsticks, works best in the slow cooker, as it stays moist and has lots of flavor. If you prefer to make this curry (or any other chicken recipe in this book) with 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cook it no longer than 5 hours on Low; otherwise, the meat will become dry.
The Best of Bridge http://www.bestofbridge.com/