Superb and a Christmas tradition across Canada. Make it the day before and then simply pop it in the oven in the morning
Christmas Morning Wife Saver
- 16 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 16 slices Canadian back bacon or ham
- 16 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. pepper 2 mL
- 1/2-1 tsp. dry mustard 2-5 mL
- 1/4 cup minced onion 60 mL
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper 60mL
- 1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 5-10 mL
- 3 cups milk 750 mL
- dash Tabasco
- 1/2 cup butter 125 mL
- Special K or crushed Corn Flakes
- Set 8 pieces of bread into a 9″ x 13″ (23 x 33 cm) buttered, glass baking dish.
- Cover bread with slices of back bacon. Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of bacon and then cover with remaining slices of bread to make it like a sandwich.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and pepper. To the egg mixture add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco. Pour over the sandwiches, cover and let stand in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, melt butter, pour over top. Cover with Special K or crushed Corn Flakes.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour at 350 deg.F (180 deg.C). Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve this with fresh fruit and hot cinnamon rolls.
The Best of Bridge http://www.bestofbridge.com/